Wednesday 21 September 2011

Changing my major, screwing up my education?

I'm currently going for a computer science degree. I realized all it is is programming for 4 years. I planned on learning more IT type skills, so I want to change my major to an Informatics degree, which seems exactly what I wanted. I'd have to take different math classes for it, and start on the core classes for that degree next year. I'm a second semester freshman right now. Will I have to go for a 5th year of college in order to graduate?
Changing my major, screwing up my education?
Make an appointment with an academic advisor in the Informatics department and have them map out your courses for the next few years. Find out all you can about the new major, ask the advisor if he/she can arrange for you to sit in on a classes for it, and do not hesitate to switch majors if this is what you decide to do. Some of what you have already taken will probably count towards your new major, but you might have missed out on some prerequisites that you will have to take. It could add an extra year, or maybe just an extra semester. Many people take more than four years, and it's more important to major in what you like and want than to graduate in four anyway.

I changed majors in my sophomore year and it added a fifth year. But... the extra year gave me more summers to do internships in and more chances to join clubs and participate in student life on campus. Best of luck with the decision.
Changing my major, screwing up my education?
This depends on how much of what you took this year consisted of general education requirements. My guess is that you can make up any lost time either by taking an extra class here and there, or by taking a summer school or two. You are still very early in your program, and most build in that kind of uncertainty to the four years, so you should be fine. You definitely haven't screwed up your education if you are now going to be able to learn what you wanted to learn.
I think you can still graduate in 4 years. It depends on yr credits needed and since you are just in your 2nd semester you might still be able to catch up. When you choose your electives, just make sure you cover your required classes. Maybe take a course in the summer to make up the requirements. Since it's in a similar line of major, you might have overlapping classes. Talk to yr advisor to make sure.
i believe you can use some of core classes for both majors (composition, basic chemistry, etc....) And you're only in second semester of your fr. year, so i think you maynot have to go for the 5th year at all. The worse is 4 and a half. If you take 1 extra class every semester, you can actually finish in 4 year (instead of going for 15 or16hrs/semester, take 17 or 18hrs).

Finally, talk to your adviser. They're glad to guide you in the right path. Good luck
My advice would be to take a few business classes or see if your school has an IT major associated with a business school.



If your school doesn鈥檛 have IT/Business type courses, then take some business type classes to keep yourself well-rounded.



Why not just go for a career in Informatics instead of changing majors? Try researching informatics companies and see if you can get an internship. Getting an informatics internship and doing well on the job is WAY more important than a major listed on a resume.



Tell the informatics companies that you have a strong computer science and business background and see if any informatics alumni went to your school. The career center at your school should help you with this.