Friday 7 October 2011

Can I get into med school as a psychology major?

I was thinking of changing my major to psychology because nowadays, it seems like the majority of college students are bio majors looking to get into medical school. With the amount of competition, I have heard stories that med schools look at your gpa and science grades much harder if you're a bio major. If I changed to a psych major, would my road to becoming a doctor easier or much less likely? What are the benefits of majoring in something other than bio, but still looking at shooting for medical school?
Can I get into med school as a psychology major?
Yes, as long as you take all the pre-requisites in math/science/English and earn at least a 3.5 GPA. You'll also need high MCAT scores, great recommendations and, ideally, volunteer or paid work in the field [e.g. in a prof's research lab]. Many med schools like to see well-rounded students.