Friday 7 October 2011

What can I do with a major in Political Science?

I'm thinking about changing my major to political science since I am passionate about politics, my question is what type of job can I get after I graduate from college with this major?
What can I do with a major in Political Science?
Hey Joesph, I hold a BA, MA and DA in Poli-Sci. Yup, that makes me a DOCTOR.lol (If you knew me, you'd get why this is funny.) :P



Seriously though, Political Science is probably THE most common pre-law major. With a BA in Poli-Sci, a large percentage of graduates move on to law school. Others move directly into teaching. Fewer still, end up beginning a career in politics, though typically not in lead roles. Generally, an astute poli-sci graduate that dives into politics will end up in an advisory capacity. You could work for politicians (obviously), lobbyists, government and even larger corporations. Many of the latter have need of people with such an education, to advise them on everything from how government works to the intricacies of policies and popular opinion. Post-grads who get an advanced degree (masters, DA/PhD(some schools award PhDs and some DAs) )tend to end up in teaching, more often than not. A BA or MA in political science (along with a state teaching certification) will easily place you in elementary or secondary education. Likewise, a doctoral level degree will tend to get you into a faculty position at many of the best colleges.



In closing, this question is asked a lot. In fact, one of the best running jokes in this regard is that a political science degree and fifty cents can get you a soda. This is so far from the truth, though. Honestly, the truth is that an education in political science can be rewarding to political junkies like you and I. Afterward, it is almost always a springboard to a career that has endless possibilities and like most other majors, it will be what YOU make of it. For a more thorough and less personal answer, I've included a source to which I have directed others who have asked me this question. I think you will find it useful.



As always, hope this helps!
What can I do with a major in Political Science?
work as a foreign service officer, work with an international trade company, work in consulting...

basically anything that involves government or research, a political science major would be good at, although advanced educational training would make you more desireable.



all the best!
  • pedicures is flirting
  • cheapest web hosting
  •