Friday 7 October 2011

Changing majors from Chemistry to Art, Music, or film studies?

I'm stressing out. I love Chemistry but I don't think it is my passion. However, I enjoy Art and learning about its history and it looks like something I can do for the rest of my life.



I'm beginning my 2nd year at my university and I've only finished my GE classes up to this point. Am I pulling an idiot move? And will I still be able to make a decent income?
Changing majors from Chemistry to Art, Music, or film studies?
there's nothing wrong with switching majors (over 40% of students do so) but i do find it perculiar that you're switching from something that is nearly the opposite. if you're switching b/c it's too hard than yea it's an idiot move, if you're switching because you like liberal arts more (%26amp; don't care how much you will make) than no it's not an idiot move.



i'd rather do something i like %26amp; not be wealthy rather than being rich for doing something miserable.
Changing majors from Chemistry to Art, Music, or film studies?
You're probably more likely to be able to get a job with the chem major than with an art major.



One problem with majoring in art is that your school may require a portfolio to be admitted to the art major and may also have a %26quot;foundations%26quot; freshman course [or year, even] that is required for the major, which would mean that you'd have a lot of ground to make up. Don't know what it would be like for music or film, but they may well have some type of %26quot;audition%26quot; or other requirement for admission to the major. You'd need to check with your school to see what the requirements are.
I guess you could make a living at doing something with art. But with Chemistry there are more possibilities that would be more stable than if you were to do something with Art. I guess if you did art history you could probably work at a museum or something like that or go on to get a PhD and teach art history at the college level.