Friday 7 October 2011

I want to change my major to history but I have a bad memory. Any advice?

I was thinking about changing my major to history because I think it's really interesting. Especially Ancient history. The problem is I'm not good at remembering names and dates. It takes me a while to remember peoples names after I have just met them. Should I pursue this field or should I just stick with business? What do you think?
I want to change my major to history but I have a bad memory. Any advice?
History is not only about remembering names and dates. As you study history you develop an understanding of and appreciation for the intricacies of the past, and how the past influences the future.



One factor to keep in mind is that while a history major is immensely interesting, it isn't in much demand from an employment perspective.



These links may help you decide. Happy studying, whatever your decision.
I want to change my major to history but I have a bad memory. Any advice?
I agree with Imaka. You don't have to remember dates to be a good history teacher. Most teachers who major in history and ancient history are consistently taking courses to better their teaching skills. You do, of course, have to remember the most important dates, but as you develop an understanding between the past and the present, it will become easier to correlate events. Business is a solid major, but unless you have the passion for it, you will not be successful. This is true for everything.



Good luck!!
Please do two things.....



1. Go to a library and check out a video named Connections by James Burke..watch it...



2. Then check out the book by the same name....this guy ties everyday things to significant historical times in a way that makes learning history both fun and meaningful. \\\enjoy..I read and re read it often...usually about 15 minutes at a time...