Friday 7 October 2011

How does Chauncey Jeromes life encapsulate the major changes that occurred in this period?

How can his life stand as a symbol of the changes discussed in the chapter?
How does Chauncey Jeromes life encapsulate the major changes that occurred in this period?
Hi Rachael.

I'm not sure what chapter your alluding to.

So I will try and answer your question as best I can in the hope that it helps you.

Chauncey Jerome was largely responsible for the first mass-produced brass movement clocks in America. He operated in New Haven between 1845 and 1855. Because of his discovery of a method of stamping rather than using casting gears, Jerome was producing the lowest-priced clocks in the world at the time

. In 1855, he went out of business and the New Haven Clock Company took over his operations, producing clocks under the name %26quot;Jerome %26amp; Co.%26quot; By his own admission, he was a better inventor than businessman. Traveling from town to town, Jerome took jobs where he could, often working for clock companies that had learned the business of clock making using Jerome's inventions. Returning to New Haven near the end of his life, he died, penniless, in 1868 at age 74.

Nevertheless, Jerome had made a historic contribution to his industry when he substituted brass works for wooden works, said to be the greatest and most far-reaching contribution to the clock industry.

Chauncey wrote, : %26quot;The ticking of a clock is music to me, and although many of my experiences as a business man have been trying and bitter, I have satisfaction of knowing that I have lived the life of an honest man, and have been of some use to my fellow men.%26quot;

Thats about it. I hope it helped. Sorry if it's not what you were looking for.

CATHORIO.









.