Wednesday 26 October 2011

I'm changing to a biology major, but I don't want to go to med school or do research. What can I do?

I am currently a Biochemistry major. The plan was to go to med school and become a pathologist. But I don't really WANT to go to med school, and you have to really, really want it to get in. I know I don't like research though. Sitting in a room reading most of the day is not exciting enough. I do like lab work, though. What is out there?
I'm changing to a biology major, but I don't want to go to med school or do research. What can I do?
Well, aside from those two choices, you don't really have any other options. Judging from what you said about research, I think you might have a different idea of research than most people think.



If you like lab work, then that's research. Research is NOT just reading most of the day, but research will require you to read other published works from time to time to help in your research. Doing lab work is the actual research. You're experimenting, getting results, making graphs, determining whether a hypothesis is true or not.



There isn't much else you can do out there with a biology degree if you don't want to do research or medical school, not unless you decide to pursue a phd, but that's essentially all research too. Or maybe you can change your academic plan to pharmacy. That uses strong fundamentals of biochemistry.



Your only other option is to do a complete career change and apply for a job where the minimum requirement is a Bachelor degree in any field of study. It's your choice. Hope you find this helpful and good luck.



*I do think genetics is a good choice also, but you will have to check to see if your school offers it. Also, depending on who you work for, you may still have to read some papers once in awhile. I can't stress how important it is to read published articles to help in the biotechnology research field.
I'm changing to a biology major, but I don't want to go to med school or do research. What can I do?
If you like lab work and biology and would suggest getting into Genetics. Geneticists work in labs all the time, studying and working with human and animal genes. Genetics is based a lot on Biology and you would spend much of your time in a lab. Studying genes is kind of the %26quot;behind the scenes%26quot; action in the medical field, in my point of view.



For myself, I find genetics very interesting. I'm majoring in the Equine field and genetics is very important in my field. How everything works is just fascinating to me.



So talk to an advisor in your biology department and see if they have a Biology major with a Genetics emphasis. I think with what you have said, I think you would really enjoy it.