Wednesday 26 October 2011

Change my major from Computer Science to Computer Information Systems?

Hello,

I am currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science and I was thinking of changing it to Computer Information Systems. Most of the required classes for both majors are the same and I have already satisfied some of the required classes for Computer Information Systems. I was just looking for advice from those of you who are familiar with both degrees? Thanks so much
Change my major from Computer Science to Computer Information Systems?
Good question. It would depend somewhat on what you want to do, but in the end I think that many of the jobs out there would hire a person with either degree, depending on their other qualifications. Computer Science will get you more of the nuts and bolts of programming. Stuff that many programmers need to understand, but will probably rarely use. CIS will be lighter on the programming, and more involved in database management and possibly business courses.



In making the decision I'd consider 2 things. First is how much a change would delay your graduation. If it's going to set you back more than a semester I would seriously consider staying in Computer Science. Second is what you want to program. If you want to work as a hardcore programmer writing device drivers or game programming, stay with Computer Science. If you are more interested in business systems or web development, then you might make the switch.