Friday 7 October 2011

What type of jobs can I get by taking psychology as a major?

Im thinking about changing my major from Biology to Psychology. What is a career I can get out of by taking psychology. I find it very interesting.
What type of jobs can I get by taking psychology as a major?
I love psychology too. I am fascinated with human nature and what makes people tick. I also like to help people find ways to change or find solutions to problems. In my experience, a BS or BA in psychology is not very useful. I do know people that have used the undergraduate degree to work in areas such as child protection or similar state-level jobs but that is about it. With a master's degree you would have more opportunities but you have to obtain a license to practice after obtaining the master's degree. No one told me these things and I had to work in areas other than psychology until I went back and got the master's and the license. Was it worth it? To me yes.

I urge you to also research the pay for psychology graduates. It is very low. Even at a master's level the pay is low. It is one of the lowest pay for a master's degree compared to other fields. Just thoughts to consider.
What type of jobs can I get by taking psychology as a major?
You can be a psychologist and help listen to people's problems and help them out ?
you can become a nerd ;)
I am actually a psychology major and I was planning on going to Med School but if your looking for a job right out of school with a Bachelor's degree there aren't many things that you can do, but here is a website



http://www.ehow.com/about_5380680_jobs-can-psychology-degree.html?ref=fuel%26amp;utm_source=yahoo%26amp;utm_medium=ssp%26amp;utm_campaign=yssp_art



This website is mainly things you can do with a master's degree though..Hope this helps!! GOOD LUCK!!
You can be a Teacher, Guidance Counselor, Job Coach, working with Department of Children and Families, and etc. I received a Bachelor's in Psychology and couldn't find any jobs. Most companies were looking for experience and a Master's Degree. If this is want you want to do then begin volunteering and finding internships. You want good references and you want to get your name out there. Good luck!!
i also am fascinated by psychology. you can go into therapy with people, be a school guidance counselor (i spelled that so horribly wrong), obviously be a psych teacher, or (this next career interests me the most) what you can do is more of the scientific part of psychology. you'd be in a lab running tests and stuff, trying to further develop our basic human knowledge of psychology. It all comes down to asking questions like %26quot;what movies are the best to watch with your girlfriend if you want to cheer her up?%26quot; or %26quot;what can a person's body language about how they are holding their drink at a party tell you?%26quot; isnt it awesome?!!@?#!?
Yeah I agree w/ Brenda. W/ just a bachelor's degree, there isn't a whole lot you can do. The reason is because psychology is a very broad field, and a bachelors in psychology is a broad, but ultimately rather shallow, degree. You'll know a little about a lot, but not a lot about any particular area. Therefore a bachelor's in psychology lacks a practical or applicable skill set. W/ only a bachelor's degree, you can get jobs as case managers or group managers at community mental health organizations. You can also work at various administrative positions.



If you get a masters degree you can be a therapist. If you get a doctorate degree you can be a psychologist.
Software Usability