Friday 7 October 2011

What should I major in if I want to become a child or family therapist?

I was thinking about changing my major to Human Development and Family Studies and minor in Psychology. (I am currently majoring in biology and I'm a sophomore in college)
What should I major in if I want to become a child or family therapist?
That is certainly a reasonable idea. Just make sure that what you finally receive as a diploma is at the Masters lever (at least) and that what you have taken as coursework conforms with what your state or licensing organization requires for those counseling disciplines.



Find yourself a faculty person in that school or discipline and ask for a sit-down to answer your questions. That will help a lot. (Such a person can also steer you toward good graduate programs in marriage and family therapy, such as Brigham Young, Florida State, and my school, the Univ. of Connecticut (go Huskies!).



-- Dr. Bob