Friday 7 October 2011

I may be changing my major in the next year or so.... how do I explain to people with expectations out of me?

OK, so ever since I was in 10th grade I've had it decided I wanted to be a math teacher and now I just finished my first year of college (a city college, not university) majoring in math and taking care or GE so I can do that.....

not too long ago about 6 months ago I got a video camera and lots of other video software and such for my bday and since then I've realized I have a real talent for making videos and directing and the talent just keeps growing and I'm finding out that I'd really love to go out of city to go to a school like the art institute in Sunnyvale so I can major in film and become a director...



the thing of that is is that there are alot of people who expect me to graduate college here in 3 years to go and teach math... (especially one math teacher who I've had for all 4 years of high school, she was my inspiration for becoming a math teacher... and other teachers that have helped me a ton... the math teacher is still one of my good friends, even after me graduating...)



how do I explain a possible major change that will result in me moving away? I think I should tell them before I make my decision so they're not too shocked next year when my decision is made.. (I made a decision the other day to take a couple more semesters of school where I'm going to take care of my GE and current major and make a decision by Fall of '10 or spring of that year at the latest...)... I think letting people know soon would be nice.... I just don't know how to explain....
I may be changing my major in the next year or so.... how do I explain to people with expectations out of me?
Hey, I'm in a bit of a similar situation. For the past three years, everyone thought that I was going to apply to law school but I have been an anthropology major since I first started undergrad and have realized recently that I would be so much happier if I instead went to grad school for my masters/phD in historical archaeology.



I still haven't talked to all of my family yet, but what I can advise to you is to go with what will make you happy in the long run. You may be good at math, but if you are doing it because you think it's what other people want you to do and not because it's what you have a passion for and want to be doing in 10 years, then you're going to be unhappy. It may take some time for your family/friends to become used to it, but they should respect your decision.



Good luck!
I may be changing my major in the next year or so.... how do I explain to people with expectations out of me?
I think that you should tell the people who are expecting that from you that this change is coming because you can feel happier in another role or career you have not chosen. I think that this quote says it all if you love your job you will never work another day. Which means if you are happy with what you do then you will not see it as a job it would be something you love and it would not be considered a job. I think that since these people care for you they should understand, if they love you. They might be disappointed but glad that you are following your dream. At least i would.
, It's your life don't try to please any one. if you want to study film go for it . If it doesn't work out you can always change. You should do what ever makes you happy. Good Luck in your future endeavors.